Sunday, November 7, 2010

Connie's Carrots

We all know and love Bugs Bunny, and I can honestly say he is the reason I wanted to eat carrots as a kid. I mean they are crunchy, sweet and you get to dip them in ranch dressing - who wouldn't want that.

     I still remember when they started selling baby carrots at the market. I thought they were made just for kids - kids only carrots! Now that am "a little" older I enjoy them small, large, raw, boiled, BBQed and roasted. 
     Seriously next time you BBQ throw a couple peeled raw carrots on there, char on all sides, salt and pepper and it's the perfect appetizer. Anyways that is not what we are talking about here. Like I said, now that I am "a little" older I like carrots all kinds of ways. Last week I made some AMAZING roasted carrots. The flavors complement the sweetness of the carrots with the perfect savory seasonings. I called them Connie's Carrots because my new cousin (as in cousin-in-law, not newly born) Connie was over helping us with our heater and giving us some home improvement estimates while I made these - so she inspired the name :)

     I served these carrots with roasted sausage and garlic bread. They would be great with just about anything. If you have left overs store them in an air tight container and add them to your lunch salad the next day. They are so easy, and will make your whole house smell of delicious roasting vegetables. Here is what you do:

CONNIE'S CARROTS

4-5 large carrots
1/4 C. EVOO
1/4 - 1/2 cup soy sauce
1 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. parsley
1 Tbs. Italian seasoning
1 Tbs. oregano
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 400

Peel and cut carrots into bite sized pieces

In a square glass baking dish add carrots and coat with EVOO and soy sauce. Spread out evenly and make sure they are not laying on top of each other

Dust carrots with garlic powder, parsley, Italian seasoning, oregano, salt and pepper

Place in the middle of the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. The longer you roast them the sweeter they will get. If you want to add them to a salad only roast them for 15 minutes so they don't get too soggy in the salad

Try it and let me know how yours turn out - happy wifey recipes!!


No comments: